Cold-weather installations can be challenging and may require extra time and labor. Check out these storage and installation tips to help your winter projects run more smoothly.
Low-VOC adhesives and primers and pressure-sensitive (PS) accessories
Low-VOC Bonding Adhesive and EPDM x-23 Low-VOC Bonding Adhesive
- Store between 60°F-80°F. If stored below 60°F, restore to between 60°F-80°F before application.
If adhesive is stored in below-freezing temperatures, it may solidify in the can. If this occurs, restore to room temperature for at least 24 hours before using.
- Water-based adhesives (HydroBond™, Aqua Base 120) will freeze in temperatures below 32°F and will be unusable thereafter.
- On winter jobsites, a heated enclosure or hot box is essential to ensure that adhesives and PS products maintain their intended properties and ease of application. Visit powerblanket.com for more information on jobsite heating equipment.
PS EPDM flashings
- Allow membranes to relax for at least 30 minutes before installing.
- Avoid puddles and globs, and re-roll any wet areas to break the skin and allow solvents to flash off.
- Shaded roof areas take longer to flash off than sunny areas.
- Use the “tack test” to ensure that solvents have flashed off and the adhesive is still tacky.
- If the adhesive is not tacky, it has over-dried and must be re-applied at the published coverage rate.
- Install the membrane shortly after adhesive passes the tack test, then immediately broom or roll the membrane after setting the sheet.
- In cold temperatures, a heat gun must be used to warm PS flashings until warm to the touch prior to installation. This will make application much quicker and easier.
FAST and Flexible FAST
- Test weld in the morning and then again after lunch when the temperature has likely increased.
- The speed of the Automatic Heat Welder may need to be adjusted to produce proper seams.
- Keep your materials warm. FAST in drums must be a minimum of 70°F for the material to flow and mix properly. Storing FAST drums outside overnight in cold temperatures can cause the adhesive to freeze. FAST Bag in a Box and FAST Dual Cartridges should be stored in a hot box on the roof.
For more information about building codes, please contact your local sales representative.